Gun policy has been a very contentious issue in recent years, especially in the light of the incidents at Sandy Hook and Aurora. As a result Obama has made some key proposals:
- Reintroduce an expired ban on “military-style” assault weapons
- Limit ammunition magazines to 10 rounds
- Background checks on all gun sales
- Ban on possession and sale of armour-piercing bullets
- Harsher penalties for gun-traffickers, especially unlicensed dealers who buy arms for criminals
- Approve the appointment of the head of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Here are some statistics on guns in America which sparked Obama’s desire to propose such changes”
- 9,960 people were killed by a gun in the USA in 2010, a rate of 3.2 per 100,000 people.
- They have the 26th highest death rate by guns annually in the world
- Gun ownership is declining – In 1990 46% of households and 29% of individuals said they owned a gun, today this has fallen to 32% and 21
The second amendment of the constitution gives American citizen the right to “bear arms”. As a result, the reforms proposed by Obama has created arguments, feeling that he is becoming ‘imperial’ in manner, taking the law into his own hands and becoming to dominant – something the Founding Fathers wished to prevent through their implementation of a series of checks and balances on the executive.
Thanks for reading,